Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nothing But Trouble

Today, my dad and I were finishing up half of the banister. After today there should have been only the stairs left. We continued working well past dark. My dad had me put up some halogen lights and we could then see. We were finishing one of the last pieces needed when, DISASTER STRUCK!!!!! My dad was pushing the wood throught the blade on the table saw. We got to the end of the cut and since the discarded piece was cut little, it caught on the blade and flew up. While it did this, my dad's hand was forced onto the blade. He was very lucky. What should have been half tip of his finger gone, he got a little gash on his index finger. His finger nail was almost cracked to the bottom and it was bleeding around the nail and by the cut (gushing at first). I ran inside the house to get my mom, and having a mother's instince, she new what had happened when I said "MOM!!!" She went up stairs and we saw my dad washing it with water, wincing in pain. She told him to stop and she applied pressure to the area. He didn't like that at all. He felt nauseated and felt like he was going to pass out. We had him sit down and put his head by his knees. Of course he refused to stay in that position. He said that he would rather lay on the floor with his feet elevated. That left me to put all the stuff away. I asked Grandpa if he would help and he shook his head. After we got everything put away, we both went to see my dad. He was acting and talking in a normal voice so I took that as a good sign. My mom wrapped it in a bandage and now he's on the computer planing the trip up to D.C. tomorrow. This is not at all exciting but Stevie, Ceci, and I went to the dermatologist. I used liquid nitrogen and the girls used some other stuff. I've now tried both ways and the liquid nitrogen is so much easier. I would reccomend that anyday. Well that's all that happened today. Not much excitement ;).

4 comments:

Tina said...

I am glad your dad is okay, you are right, he could have lost a tip of a finger or something . . .

you forgot to say why you went to the dermatologist . . . but I know . . . hope it works great!

The two old crows said...

Yep it could have been worse, I'm glad it wasn't. The banister is looking great.


I hope you enjoy your trip to DC.

young family said...

I'm glad your dad is ok too, that can be scary!

So since I don't know what you did at the dermatologist what was the liquid nitrogen for? Was it warts? Just curious.

King Family said...

Oh my goodness. That is scary. One time I went into my photography class and started cutting my photo paper.. my teacher came up behind me and told me to be very careful.. a girl in the last period had been cutting her paper and wasn't paying attention and cut the tips off of her middle and index fingers, about a half inch was cut off and they had to clean up all the blood and they put the finger tips on ice, just in case the doctor could sew them back on, which he couldn't.. so she now has two short fingers. Haha.. needless to say, that was the last time I used the paper cutter, the school banned the students from using it, which put a load on our teacher. Haha.. it was pretty scary. Your dad is VERY lucky.